To see all content, you will need the current version of Adobe Flash Player to view it.
Home Useful Contacts & Links Services & CW Lectionary Prayer Cycle Churches Calendar News & Events Focus on Frampton What's On in Wyberton Guide to St Leodegar's Guide to St Mary's St Mary's - 1950's St Mary's Roof Repairs Guide to St Michael's St Michael's - 1950's Friends of Frampton Church Frampton Craft Fair Frampton Incumbents Frampton Memorials Frampton War Memorial Frampton 100 Club Health Safety & Safeguarding Fees
Guide to St Michael's
The church of St. Michael and All Angelswas built in 1863 for The Revd. J. Tunnard.Of Ancaster stone, the architect of the building being Mr James Fowler from Louth.The building consists of a nave, chancel and semi-octangular apse, with an organ chamber and vestry. It was apparently designed to accommodate 200 persons.The vicar of Frampton in 1863, The Revd. John Tunnard, M.A. lived at Frampton House and was a considerable landowner. The condition of the roads from Frampton West to the parish church had long been the subject of adverse criticism and indeed, some years earlier, the vicar's father had found it necessary to take down the mound on which the former mill stood at Mill Hill. The materials were apparently used to fill up the holes in the road to Frampton House, as his wife and daughters were so badly shaken up on their way to and from the church, in their carriage. For some years The Revd. Tunnard had been disturbed because many who were anxious to attend the parish church, lived so far away from it. Some elderly residents had to travel three miles each way to church. He therefore determined to erect a church at the west end of the parish for their convenience. He chose as the site, a grass field at the back of his residence, at first intending to build a simple building at a cost of £500. When this became known to his cousin, John Pearson, this gentleman subscribed £1,000 towards the cost of a new church `which should be an ornament to the parish'. On Monday, 27th April 1863, the corner stone was laid by Mrs Tunnard, at the north end buttress of the chancel. The project took six months to complete and the church was dedicated by The Right Revd. John Jackson Bishop of Lincoln on 19th November 1863.A new altar to replace the original wooden table was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln, the Right Revd. Kenneth Riches on the 9th May, 1958. A new vestry screen was later added in memory of a member of the congregation and a memorial stained glass window was installed in 2008, reflecting life in a rural community. If you visit - look out for 'Michael Mouse' in the Lectern!In 2006 St Michael's was Licensed for Weddings!On 24th November 2013, the Archdeacon of Boston - The Venerable Dr Justine Allain Chapman, preached at a service to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of St Michael & All Angels.
Guide to the church of St Michael & All Angels Frampton West + St Mary's
THE CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS was built in 1863
Click below to download pdf Guide
The Church & Community in Wyberton and Frampton